Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Communication

If you talk to the animals, they will talk to you, and you will know them.
If you do not talk to them, you will not know them.
And what you do not know, you will fear,
and what one fears, one will destroy. --Chief Dan George
I cannot emphasize enough how important that idea is. What a person does not know, he fears. What a person fears, he destroys. This explains so well the general pattern of human society vs. animal societies. This is why it is so vital that people be exposed to as much truth about animals as possible. Too many people simply do not realize that each and every animal is a thinking, feeling, loving being with a life as rich as their own. And once a person does realize this, his life is forever changed for the better.

One thing not made explicit in Chief Dan George's words above is that you have to listen to the animals, too. Once they know you are listening, they will talk to you even more. As I was writing this post, my youngest kitten brought a toy to me, thus telling me very eloquently that she wanted to play with me. I was happy to oblige, and as a result, it was a long time between when I started and when I finished, but we both had a good time and she lifted me out of my despair over the idea of people destroying what they don't understand. I was glad I listened; I needed that. (Someday I will have to elaborate on the importance of not postponing joy.)

When you come down to it, joy is the basis for all my posts and all of my site: surely you know what I mean if you've also come to the realization that intelligent life is all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment